Misal Pav is a curry made of mixed beans that have been sprouted along with a bread bun. This is very delicious as well as healthy as sprouted beans makes them rich in digestible energy, bioavailable vitamins, minerals, amino acids,and proteins.For home sprouting, the beans are soaked for 10-12 hrs in water, the beans swell when soaked the water is then drained and the beans left at room temperature in a simple glass jar with a piece of cloth window screen secured over its rim.I usally keep my jar inside the oven without turning it on as the dark helps in sprouting. The beans may stick to the sides of the jar, and begin germinating within a day.Sometimes beans do not sprout
Common causes for sprouts to become inedible:
- Seeds are not rinsed well enough before soaking
- Seeds are left in standing water after the initial soaking
- Seeds are allowed to dry out
- Temperature is too high or too low
- Insufficient rinsing
- Insufficient air flow
- Contaminated water source
- Poor germination rate
black eye beans
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup coconut powder
4 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
25 mm stick cinnamon
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder(gives a lovely red colour)
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 cup moath bean sprouts
1/2 cup dried white pea sprouts
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
2 tbsp black eye bean sprouts
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
salt to taste
1/2 cup boiled and choped potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
4 tbsp finely chopped coriander
8 bread buns
4 lemon wedges
For the misal masala
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and coconut and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder without using any water. Keep aside.
For the misal
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared misal masala and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and a little water , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the moath bean, dried white pea, mung bean and black eye bean sprouts and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the chilli powder, 1/2 cup of water and chopped coriander, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
This is the Haldiram mixture for topping available in an Indian suppermarket
How to proceed
- Just before serving pour 1/4 of the misal in a serving bowl, sprinkle ,2 tbsp of haldiram mixture, 2 tbsp chopped boiled potato, 2 tbsp of onions and 1 tbsp of coriander over it.
- Serve immediately with bread buns and lemon wedges.