I use to love flapjacks from M&S , but since moving to Middle East did not find them so took up making them. I feel they are a healthy snack with oats , nuts, seeds and honey. It is very versatile recipe, where in according to your liking ,you can add 2 tbsp of cocoa to the butter and sugar to make chocolate flapjacks or melt 250g of milk or dark chocolate and layer it over the flapjacks once they are baked or sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top . They can be baked in an oven or you can make chewy microwave flapjacks. I usually bake them as it gives the nuts and seeds a roasted flavor.
Makes 25 pieces
Serves : 12
- 150g butter
- 7 tablespoons light brown soft sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 300g porridge oats
- 75g almonds, chopped
- 75g pumpkin seeds
- 75g sunflower seeds
- 50g sultanas
- Place the butter, sugar and honey in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high power for 1 to 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir in the oats, almonds , sunflower deeds, pumpkin seeds and sultanas and mix thoroughly.
- Press mixture into a small greased baking dish. Cook on high power for about 5 minutes or until the center is bubbling. Allow to cool then cut into squares.
In an oven
- Pre heat the oven at 180 C, grease a 22 by 23 cm baking tin.
- Melt butter in a pan add sugar and honey, remove from the hob .Stir in the oats, almonds pumpkin seeds, sultanas and sunflower seeds.
- Press the mixture in the tin and bake for 20 mins. Cool and cut into bars.