This is one delicious pulao from Rajasthan the desert region of India . Gatte are made using gram flour. It is one of the accompaniments of dal baati. Actually gatte ka saag (gatte in yogurt gravy ) are usually served with dal-baati but I like to make this pulao so its a complete meal.
- 1 1/2 cup gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp ginger garlic and green chilli paste (4 cloves garlic, 2 ” ginger, 2-3 green chillies)
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped corriander leaves
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 cup boiled long grain basmati rice
- 1/2 cup mixed boiled vegetables (peas, carrots and beans)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 2″ cinnamon stick
- Mix gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, yogurt and coriander leaves.
- Add a little water to make a stiff dough.
- Divide into six equal parts and roll into cylindrical shape. Cut into two inch pieces. Cook in two cups of boiling water for ten to fifteen minutes. Drain.
- Let the gattas cool a bit.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan. Add bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, slightly opened black cardamoms, cinnamon, onion saute for 2 mins. Add remaining ginger garlic green chilli paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add the boiled gattas and fry for 2 mins.
- Add cooked rice and boiled vegetables and continue to sauté. Add salt, and mix.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.