This is a simple and a healthy take on the traditional Dahi vadas ( deep fried lentil balls in yogurt ). This is an easy and a quick recipe. We like to eat dahi vadas often so I was looking for a healthy version of it :). The only thing is unlike dahi vadas where u soak the vadas in water and then squeeze out the excess, here u keep them soaked in thin buttermilk till u want to serve . longer they sit in the buttermilk the softer they get.
For The Vadas
- 1 cup yellow mung dal
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1″ piece of ginger
- 1 tsp unflavoured fruit salt or soda bi carbnate
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for greasing
- 2 cups buttermilk (made using 3/4 cup yogurt abd 1 1/4 cup water whisked with 1/2 tsp salt )
For the Yogurt
- 2 cups yogurt whisked smooth
For the Garnish
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 4 tbsp tamrind and dates chutney
- 2 tsp chopped corriander
- Soak the dal in warm water for at least 1 hour.
- Drain out most of the water and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender along with the ginger and chillies and salt.
- Add the fruit salt or soda bicarb and mix well.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into 18 small greased microwave safe bowls (2″ diameter).
- Microwave 4 at a time each batch for 3 minutes .
- Remove and unmould.
- Soak them in salted buttermilk for an hour, till they are soft.
- Place on a serving plate.
How to proceed
- Whisk the yogurt and salt and pour over the soaked vadas.
- Garnish with the chilli powder, cumin powder, dates and tamrind chutney and chopped coriander.
- Serve chilled.
For the dates and tamrind chutney
- 1/2 cup Tamrind
- 2 cups deseeded dates
- 1 cup jaggery ( broken in small pieces )
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Soak the tamrind in 3 cups of water for about an hour, mash and strain the pulp through a sieve .
- Puree the dates in a blender with 1 cup water water.
- In a sauce pan take tamrind pulp add the dates puree to it and start cooking.
- Add the jaggery, chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, and salt and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes and cool.
- Use as required. Store refrigerated.