A simple recipe of eggless sponge cake dipped in strawberry jam and rolled in coconut. I wanted to eat some cake to kick start my weekend but since in India its festival time I could not use egg so digged out this old sponge cake recipe mum would make. Lamingtons are traditionally iced with chocolate icing but i used strawberry glaze. Had my weekend sweet fix with my morning cup of coffee 🙂
- 1 (400g ) sweetened condensed milk
- 280g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 120 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (dry coconut powder)
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and milk and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 150 mm. (6″) diameter tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 175 C for 30 minutes.
- Insert a skewer and if it comes out clean cake is done. Take out from the oven and leave for a few minutes to cool. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- In a saucepan take jam and add water to it and heat it.
- Cut the cake into pieces and dip them in jam mixture and then roll in the coconut powder.