Muffins are enjoyed by all young or old. If they are a little healthier we can enjoy them guilt free. The sweetness comes from ripe bananas and honey. These are scrumptious and make a healthy breakfast treat perfect for a weekend morning. Serve them with creme fraiche or caramel yogurt to make them even better.
- 125 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 175 g wholemeal flour
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- 150 g honey
- 175 g almonds, skin still on, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Sift the plain flour into a large bowl with the baking powder and salt. Mix in the wholemeal flour. Place the bananas in a separate bowl with the eggs, sunflower oil and honey and whisk to combine. Tip into the dry ingredients and beat until smooth, adding the almonds just as the mixture is coming together.
3. Divide the batter between the muffin cases so that they are about three-quarters full. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden on top and springy to the touch.
4. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes, then take them from the tray and place on a wire rack to finish cooling.